- To understand the bamboo appearance, visualise a bamboo stalk that has been sectioned into strips, flattened, and pressed alongside other strips.
- A bamboo material sheet is formed with multiple layers of thin bamboo glued and pressed together with the direction of the grain alternating.
- Maximum usable area: 595mm x 295mm.
- Maximum sheet size: Approx. 600mm x 300mm.
- Price Range: $ Low.
- Thickness: 3mm, but can vary anywhere from 2.5mm up to 3.5mm.
- Finish: Natural, smooth* finish that is consistent on both sides.
Gallery of Bamboo
These traits are typical of this material (and not something we consider a fault). Here we try to share with you everything we know about this material; we’d like to empower you with this information so that you may embrace it, and design within the scope of the manufacturer features.
Good to Know
Surface Is ‘Natural’The smoothness of the surface can vary and may benefit from some hand finishing with fine sand paper. Pay particular attention to peeling your bamboo pieces slowly; if peeled carelessly you can accidentally ‘pull up’ some of the bamboo grain ‘strands’.
Naturally Has VariationsBamboo is a natural material; wood knots, differing grain colours, and varying textures are part of the beauty of this material.
Not Suitable for Paint FillPaint fill technique (as we describe using on acrylic) isn’t suitable for this material (because the tape doesn’t stick as firmly to the surface, causing paint to ‘bleed’ out and adhere onto other areas). You can trial painting directly over the surface instead; for this we recommend a heavy body acrylic paint (as thin viscosity paints will bleed into the bamboo texture). As with trying any new technique, consider testing on a sample swatch.
- Looks great when partnered with a bright acrylic colour; a great juxtaposition of natural vs. synthetic.
- Consider the end product suitability to the material. Bamboo doesn’t lend itself well to being wet/dried repeatedly, so products that are commonly removed (e.g. necklaces) can offer longevity for customers (when compared to something like earrings, which some people choose not to remove regularly once in).
- Cuts well and leaves a clean, smooth edge line that typically shows a darkened cross-section view of the bamboo grain.
- Engraves well and can hold fine details (engraved areas typically have a slightly darkened appearance).
- Comes with a protective tape coating that will need to be peeled off.
- It is difficult to capture colour correctly; allow for slight variation from monitor to reality.