Frosted acrylics are similar to our solid (opaque) acrylic sheets, but they have a matte top/front and can be either gloss OR matte on the back/bottom and are translucent. We commonly see frosted acrylic pieces being used upside down in end products to have the gloss side as the front. If you want to do this, please email first to confirm if the current stock of the colour you want has a gloss or matte back/bottom side. Scroll down for more photos.
- Maximum sheet size: 600mm x 300mm.
- Maximum usable area: 595mm x 295mm.
- Thickness: 3mm (± 10%).
- May have the option to use a matte or gloss finish.
- Gives a translucent effect that is consistent across all colours.
- Cuts well and leaves a clean, smooth edge line that shows the core on the sides.
- Etches well and can hold fine details (etched areas have a frosted white appearance). Etching looks most effective on darker colours that show contrast, or when used for paint fill techniques.
- Will show through colours placed underneath, so layering designs may give an undesirable effect.
- Protective tape doesn’t adhere well to the matte surface, which can be problematic for techniques like paint fill.
- Comes with a protective tape coating that will need to be peeled off.
- Thickness can vary by up to 10% as a result of the manufacturing process, so creating interlocking designs can be difficult.
- Is difficult to capture colour correctly; allow for slight variation from monitor to reality.
Samples swatches available here.