- Swirls of shimmery colour stirred throughout clear acrylic.
- Creates a marbled style appearance that is similar top and back (top typically looks more dimensional).
- Reminiscent of vintage lucite plastics.
- Manufactured in China.
- Maximum usable area: 595mm x 295mm.
- Maximum sheet size: Approx. 600mm x 300mm.
- Price Range: $$ Medium.
- Thickness: 3mm (± 10%).
- Finish: Gloss on both sides. Appearance of the back is similar to the front (front typically looks more dimensional).
These traits are typical of this material (and not something we consider a fault). Here we try to share with you everything we know about this material; we'd like to empower you with this information so that you may embrace it, and design within the scope of the manufacturer features.
Good to Know
Swirls VaryHas qualities of a handmade product; swirl density and 'grain' prominence varies from sheet to sheet (see photos of other colours in this range to get an idea of the variation that can occur).
Laser MarksWe find that tightly cut corners show dark marks (in reaction to the laser cutting), which is visible on lighter colours.
Imperfect ManufactureDue to the manufactures production methods, this material typically arrives to us with some light scuffs and marks. We don't use parts of the material that have deep scratches, but be aware that the surface isn't always completely smooth.
- Has qualities reminiscent of vintage pieces (like Lucite), so looks great when used for classic designs that pay homage to this.
- Is great as a substitute for solid acrylic when you want to give pieces a 'fancier' look, with a little more depth and detail.
- Works well within designs to mimic other 'real world' textures e.g. when used to simulate swirly 'frosting' on a cupcake design, or as 'water' in a scenic layered piece.
- Cuts well and leaves a clean, smooth edge line that typically shows the core colour on the sides.
- Engraves well and can hold fine details (engraved areas typically have a frosted white appearance). Engraving looks most effective on darker colours (so that it will show contrast), or when used for paint filling.
- Comes with a protective tape coating that will need to be peeled off.
- It is difficult to capture colour correctly; allow for slight variation from monitor to reality.