- Created with a swirly mix of colours and a hint of shimmery dust (think powdered eye shadow mixed in).
- Creates an iridescent mix that is reminiscent of smoke and potion.
- Manufactured in China.
- Maximum usable area: 595mm x 295mm.
- Maximum sheet size: Approx. 600mm x 300mm.
- Price Range: $$ Medium.
- Thickness: 3mm (± 10%).
- Finish: Gloss on both sides. Appearance of the back is somewhat similar to the front, but does vary greatly depending on the ‘mix’ e.g. may be darker/lighter, more/less swirled.
[ngg src=”galleries” ids=”31″ display=”basic_thumbnail”]
Gallery of Glimmer Acrylic Colours
These traits are typical of this material (and not something we consider a fault). Here we try to share with you everything we know about this material; we’d like to empower you with this information so that you may embrace it, and design within the scope of the manufacturer features.
Good to Know
Pattern VariationHas qualities of a handmade product; swirl density and ‘grain’ prominence varies from sheet to sheet (see photos of other colours in this range to get an idea of the variation that can occur).
Some Transparency in Misty and HoneycombMisty and Honeycomb in this range are slightly transparent; be aware of this if you plan to layer pieces (as darker colours placed underneath may show through).
Imperfect ManufactureDue to the manufactures production methods, this material typically arrives to us with some light scuffs and marks. We don’t use parts of the material that have deep scratches, but be aware that the surface isn’t always completely smooth..
Front vs BackWe commonly see the ‘back’ of this material used as the ‘front’. For example, the back of Chilli Glimmer is a stunning dark red, similarly with Ocean Sunrise (the back is a nice dark blue) The back of honeycomb has pretty white patterns through it.
- The mixes in this material are so stunning, like a painting. We just love seeing this material in big pieces on it’s own!
- Recommended to be used for larger, more solid pieces (such as a circle with a diameter of 30mm of larger). This will ensure a large enough sample area to show some of the swirls.
- Looks great when paired with a solid colour that matches on of the shades in the mix e.g. honeycomb glimmer and amber solid, and/or…
- Keep it simple with the emphasis on the glimmer by pairing with black or white solid acrylic.
- Cuts well and leaves a clean, smooth edge line that typically shows the core colour on the sides.
- Engraves well and can hold fine details (engraved areas typically have a frosted white appearance). Engraving looks most effective on darker colours (so that it will show contrast), or when used for paint filling.
- Comes with a protective tape coating that will need to be peeled off.
- It is difficult to capture colour correctly; allow for slight variation from monitor to reality.