This material is similar to our marble acrylics range - it is made with swirls of shimmery colour stirred throughout clear acrylic. It contains pieces of fine gold glitter that is spread over the front/top. The back/bottom is similar to the front/top, but is typically less dimensional and does not have glitter. Each colour has iridescent qualities that reflects more than the main hue on different angles (e.g. apple green has hints of pink, etc). The material swirls have hand made qualities that vary for each sheet, so please ensure that you have read the disadvantages below. Scroll down for more photos.
- Maximum sheet size: 600mm x 300mm.
- Maximum usable area: 595mm x 295mm.
- Thickness: 3mm (± 10%).
- Gives a 3D shimmery effect.
- Cuts well* and leaves a clean, smooth edge line that shows the colour on the sides.
- Etches well and can hold fine details (etched areas have a frosted white appearance). Etching looks most effective on darker colours that show contrast.
- *Corners show dark marks in reaction to the laser cutting, which is visible on lighter colours.
- It's not un-common for sheets of this material to have light scratches over the surface (and not not something we typically consider to be a fault).
- Has qualities of a handmade product; swirl density and 'grain' prominence varies from sheet to sheet (see photos of other colours in this range to get an idea of the variation that can occur).
- Cast colour density varies, which means some small areas may be semi-translucent.
- Comes with a protective tape coating that will need to be peeled off.
- Thickness varies as a result of the manufacturing process, so creating interlocking designs can be difficult.
- It is difficult to capture colour correctly; allow for slight variation from monitor to reality.
Samples swatches available here.
Close up of the material sheet.
Extreme close up of the material sheet.
Sample laser cut pieces in a range of sample swirl colours (edge views).