- Made with flecks of coloured metallic foil cast in tinted frosted acrylic.
- Gives a textured effect that makes us think of both free falling flower petals and schools of tropical fish.
- Manufactured in China.
- Maximum usable area: 595mm x 295mm.
- Maximum sheet size: Approx. 600mm x 300mm.
- Price Range: $$ Medium.
- Thickness: 3mm (± 10%).
- Finish: Gloss on both sides. Same appearance front and back.
Gallery of Petals Acrylic Colours
These traits are typical of this material (and not something we consider a fault). Here we try to share with you everything we know about this material; we’d like to empower you with this information so that you may embrace it, and design within the scope of the manufacturer features.
Good to Know
Coloured Speckles That Don’t BelongEvery now and then, a coloured speckle appears that isn’t silver. It’s uncommon, but can happen.
Some TransparencyBecause the coloured metallic flecks are cast in frosted acrylic, the lighter colours in this range are semi-transparent. Refer to the image gallery below to see the varying levels.
Laser MarksWe find that metallic flakes darken in reaction to laser cutting. It’s only marginally on the cross section of the cut lines (and this contrast is most visible on lighter colours).
Scratches and MarksDue to the manufactures production methods, this material typically arrives to us with some light scuffs and marks. We don’t use parts of the material that have deep scratches, but be aware that the surface isn’t always completely smooth.
Pattern VariationThe metallic flake and colour spot ‘density’ can vary. For example, there may be areas that are very ‘sparkly’, and other areas that are more sparse. Our advice here is to use this material for pieces around 20mm or larger, so that there is enough surface area to show a good range of the pattern.
- The scale of this material can look best for pieces around 20mm or larger, so that there’s a large enough area to include some of the metallic flakes.
- Consider using this material for hanging earrings pieces (so that glue won’t show through), paired with a complimentary (opposite on the colour wheel) or analogous colour (the colour next to this one on the colour wheel) in solid acrylic for ‘tops’.
- The style of this material is very flowy, light and pretty; consider pairing it with natural, curvaceous shapes.
- Cuts well and leaves a clean, smooth edge line that typically shows the core colour on the sides.
- Engraves well and can hold fine details (engraved areas typically have a frosted white appearance). Engraving looks most effective on darker colours (so that it will show contrast), or when used for paint filling.
- Comes with a protective tape coating that will need to be peeled off.
- It is difficult to capture colour correctly; allow for slight variation from monitor to reality.