- This material is a synthetic leather like fabric that is specifically made for laser cutting and engraving.
- It is versatile and flexible like leather, and offers stunning details when engraved and cut.
- It has a coloured front side with the leather-like texture, and a black fabric backing.
- Contains no animal products (i.e. is 'vegan leather').
- Doesn't have a strong odour when lasered (unlike true leather).
- Maximum usable area: 595mm x 295mm.
- Maximum sheet size: Approx. 600mm x 300mm.
- Price Range: $ Low.
- Thickness: 1mm (± 10%).
- Finish: 1mm (± 10%).
These traits are typical of this material (and not something we consider a fault). Here we try to share with you everything we know about this material; we'd like to empower you with this information so that you may embrace it, and design within the scope of the manufacturer features.
Good to Know
Is Thin (Like Fabric)The most common 'mistake' we hear of when ordering this material is that people expect it to be thicker. So, this material is only about 1mm thick. This is thinner than what comes to mind traditionally when you consider leather (something to keep in mind).
Can Curve and Lay FlatFinished cut pieces seem to warp and flatten based on the humidity, so they may not always lay completely flat.
Is Lasered Without TapeDoesn't have protective tape applied, so it can have light 'scorch' marks from the laser smoke. Cleaning with a baby wipe and/or mentholated spirits (on a soft cloth) works well to remove these marks.
- Suitable for a variety of projects e.g. DIY tassels, bangles, knotted pieces, wallets.
- Cuts well and leaves a clean, smooth edge line* that shows the black fabric on the sides. Seems to handle fine detailed cuts quite well - however we typically recommend avoiding pieces thinner than 2mm for best results (i.e. no breakages).
- Engraves really well and can hold fine details*. Engraving typically works best with a line width of 0.5mm or larger (thinner lines may not show up).
- It is difficult to capture colour correctly; allow for slight variation from monitor to reality.