- Layers of colour that are 'folded' into clear acrylic.
- Creates a textured look, similar to the cross-section of a gemstone.
- Has a fine shimmer dust throughout some parts of the pattern (think eye-shadow mixed in).
- Manufactured in China.
- Maximum usable area: 595mm x 295mm.
- Maximum sheet size: Approx. 600mm x 300mm.
- Price Range: $$ Medium.
- Thickness: 3mm (± 10%).
- Finish: Gloss on both sides. Appearance of the back is similar to the front (front typically looks more dimensional).
These traits are typical of this material (and not something we consider a fault). Here we try to share with you everything we know about this material; we'd like to empower you with this information so that you may embrace it, and design within the scope of the manufacturer features.
Good to Know
Engraving DiscolorationOn this material patches of engraved areas tend to go brown in reaction to the laser, so we typically only recommend adding engraving to mineral if you intend to add paint fill.
Laser MarksWe find that tightly cut corners show dark marks (in reaction to the laser cutting), which is visible on lighter colours.
Imperfect ManufactureDue to the manufacturers production methods, this material typically arrives to us with some light scuffs and marks. It may also have sections (like pits) that dip inwards - be aware that the surface isn't always completely smooth.
Pattern VariationHas qualities of a handmade product; mineral colour 'folds' and density varies from sheet to sheet (see photos of other colours in this range to get an idea of the variation that can occur).
Fun Edge PatternsThe laser cut edges of this material show a nice cross section of the pattern folds and squiggles; an idea to consider if you're using the 'edge' of the material.
- Is great as a substitute for solid acrylic when you want to give pieces a 'fancier' look, with a little more depth and detail.
- Play into this materials likeness to gemstones by using it for organic shapes with soft edges e.g. organic circles and rounded edge rectangles.
- The colours in this range have a low saturation (meaning they aren't overly bright and colourful). Because of this, the range can be utilised well for designs that pair with minimalist and monochrome fashion styles.
- Cuts OK and leaves a clean, smooth edge line that typically shows the core colour on the sides.
- Engraved areas tend go go brown in reaction to the laser, so we typically only recommend adding engraving to mineral if you intend to add paint fill.
- Comes with a protective tape coating that will need to be peeled off.
- It is difficult to capture colour correctly; allow for slight variation from monitor to reality.