- Specialty acrylics are a variety of different types of acrylic sheets that don’t quite fit into our other categories.
- They are typically all made differently, such as varied mixes or ‘ingredients’. Refer to the ‘Good To Know’ section below for more information.
- Maximum usable area: 595mm x 295mm.
- Maximum sheet size: Approx. 600mm x 300mm.
- Price Range: $$$ High.
- Thickness: 3mm (± 10%).
- Finish: As described above.
Gallery of Specialty Acrylic Colours
These traits are typical of this material (and not something we consider a fault). Here we try to share with you everything we know about this material; we’d like to empower you with this information so that you may embrace it, and design within the scope of the manufacturer features.
Good to Know
Radiant and Iridescent FilmThe iridescent effect of these materials is done via a film that has been applied onto acrylic. It you’re not careful, it can be peeled off. It’s not too much of an issue with wearable pieces; it’s mostly a concern to be aware of when you’re peeling the protective tape off your laser cuts (as at this stage it’s easier to accidentally peel the tape and the film off).
Direction on Fabric Varies (Fabric Colours)For the fabric style Specialty acrylics, the fabric has a sort of grain (like a direction) that the pattern goes in. This can be horizontal or vertical, depending on how the sheets are cut.
Direction and Density of Swirl Varies (Lollipop and Playdough)For Lollipop and Playdough, the swirl direction and density can vary. This means that small pieces intended to pair (like stud earrings) may look different, based on where they are cut in the sheet.
- Specialty acrylics really fit into anyway that you can envision them! They’re quite varied and lend themselves to a variety of different designs and styles.
- We sometimes get requests for the ‘back’ to be used as the ‘front’ for some colours in this range e.g. the back of lollipop is closer to white and pastel.
- These materials can be a little tricky to order, so if you need something for longevity (such as you’re planning a design that will stay in manufacture for 1-2 years), this range may not be the most suitable long term option.
- Cuts well and leaves a clean, smooth edge line that typically shows the core colour on the sides.
- Engraves well and can hold fine details.
- Comes with a protective tape coating that will need to be peeled off.
- It is difficult to capture colour correctly; allow for slight variation from monitor to reality.