An attempt at the black chunky of our dreams – this chunky is VERY densely filled with black glitter. It does not reflect much light, so looks almost completely black (with the odd little speck of light reflection). It also has a lot of pits on the surface and the odd scratch. We consider this seconds stock and have priced it accordingly (45% off).
This material is made with shaped chunks of coloured glitter cast in clear acrylic. It creates a deep and sparkly appearance that is similar front and back. The glitter density varies vastly from sheet-to-sheet; sometimes it is very dense, other times it can be sparse and have larger clear spots. In our experience, it is best to embrace these features and use this material for pieces that will hang (so that seeing glued components through clear spots is not an issue). Scroll down for more photos.
- Maximum sheet size: 600mm x 300mm.
- Maximum usable area: 595mm x 295mm.
- Thickness: 3mm (± 10%).
- Gives a radiant, shimmery effect.
- Cuts well and leaves a clean, smooth edge line that typically shows the glitter core colour on the sides.
- Engraves well and can hold fine details (engraved areas have a frosted white appearance). Engraving looks most effective on darker colours (so that it will show contrast), or when use for paint filling.
- Comes with a protective tape coating that will need to be peeled off.
- Glitter density varies vastly (sometimes it is very dense, and other times it can be sparse and have clear spots).
- Thickness varies as a result of the manufacturing process, so creating interlocking designs can be difficult.
- It is difficult to capture colour correctly; allow for slight variation from monitor to reality.
- Air bubbles can be within and on the surface, which means some edges or surfaces may have bubble holes and/or be not completely smooth on the surface.
Samples swatches available here.