- This material is semi-transparent (translucent) acrylic with a coloured tint (with the exception of clear, which is has no colour tint).
- It has a high gloss finish, and is the same on the front and back.
- The sides are typically the same colour, but tend to look brighter (as they catch the light).
- The transparency varies for each colour. We use the word translucent interchangeably with transparent, such as you may be able to see objects clearly through this material.
- Maximum usable area: 595mm x 295mm.
- Maximum sheet size: Approx. 600mm x 300mm.
- Price Range: $ Low.
- Thickness: 3mm (± 10%). Clear is also available in 1.5mm, 2mm, 3mm, 4.5mm and 6mm.
- Finish: High gloss on the front/top and on the back/bottom.
These traits are typical of this material (and not something we consider a fault). Here we try to share with you everything we know about this material; we'd like to empower you with this information so that you may embrace it, and design within the scope of the manufacturer features.
Good to Know
Engraving on Front by DefaultAll translucent acrylics are engraved on the front by default. Something to consider for text if you plan to use the smooth/not-engraved side as the 'front'.
High Gloss Shows DustWhere there is a high gloss finish, any marks/fluff/scratches/etc can show up quite easily on finished products. Our advice is to peel your pieces as late in the process as you can (such as do all your gluing and assembly that you can with the protective tape still on) and as late as you can, peel the tape, clean the pieces with a gentle microfiber cloth and seal them in something like a cellophane bag.
- Of course, this material will show through colours placed underneath, so layering designs may give an undesirable effect.
- Looks great when combined with edge lit or back lit applications.
- Most Translucent Acrylic colours typically come with a brown protective tape, which adheres quite strongly to the material. Because of this, it can be ideal for using when applying a paint fill technique.
- Cuts well and leaves a clean, smooth edge line that typically shows the core colour on the sides.
- Engraves well and can hold fine details (engraved areas typically have a frosted white appearance). Engraving looks great on most Translucent colours, and when used for paint filling.
- Comes with a protective tape coating that will need to be peeled off.
- It is difficult to capture colour correctly; allow for slight variation from monitor to reality.